Sign In  |  Join Now Become a member to add links and start earning points!

Phenomenal Packaging Design & Inspiration

Packaging might be the most important element of a product. Whether the product is a consumable good, some fancy hardware, a service, or even a website — that item might not even be touched if the package doesn’t communicate to the consumer.

In this post, we’ve collected inspiring, unique, and brilliant packaging to demonstrate that good, timeless design speaks louder than words.

Coffee Time Bag and Cups

Yes, I am feeling like it’s time for some coffee after seeing this. The intricate patterns, and bold browns are both soothing and complex, just like a good cup of Joe.

Americano Black

Breaking from the traditional feel, Americano Black is a much cooler design for a chilled coffee beverage. At the same time, it keeps an elegant feel about itself.

MyCuppa Tea/Coffee

Genius at work in these Mug designs. Perhaps as a functional bonus, mixing your tea or coffee perfectly every time is much more easily achieved.

PANTONE Mugs

And for the more Colour savvy who won’t settle for cream-based names, W2′s got collections of PANTONE mugs to fill the void. If only it came in PANTONE 312 Cthat’s a blissful blue, eh?

PANTONE Universe Bag

But W2 didn’t stop with mugs. Oh, no… They’ve got a selection of bags too. Carrying one of these is a really good way to declare your geeky love for colour.

Peared

Here’s some wonderful branding done by Conor Hagan for the juice Peared, a combination of pear juice and other juices from an array of fruits. The way the shapes are all put together to create pears is simple and elegant.

Wine In A Can

Seemingly borrowing the idea from recent Energy Drink packaging, Wine In A Can puts forth an organic, trendy design that is very unique.

M5

What happens when Coke, the largest brand in the world, starts losing its hold on their core consumer? They hire 5 design groups (dubbed the Magnificent 5, or M5) to reestablish that grip. The result is some of the most creative design work we’ve ever seen for caffeinated beverages.

Wine Labels by Jordan Jelev

Returning to the more traditional Wine packaging, Jordan Jelev has selected several of his beautiful Wine Label designs over the past few years. A nice mix of class and modern design in his works.

MINIBLACK

A Vibrant, Feel-Good design for MINIBLACK done by Drasik. We’ve posted a tutorial for creating the colorful glowing type effect used in some of the designs created by Drasik.

Private Brand Bottled Water

The packaging for this bottled water simply makes one think cold, refreshing thoughts. Wonderful type work, and a beautiful minimalist label design.

Keen Fruit

Using the contents of your container to magnify the packaging? Now that’s a cool idea. Keen Fruit, though simple, manages to communicate it’s product very effectively.

Equal Exchange

The Typography and Color work done in the Equal Exchange packaging has been featured on Tutorial9 in the past. It’s so good, we’ve decided to feature it once more. Inspiring, easy on the eyes, and clear messages all around.

Milk Chocolate

Pate Monodosis

Creatively shaped, petite packaging done by Marcos Prack.

Chocolate Packaging

A series of creative packaging for chocolates by Yael Miller. I tend to be incredibly biased in regards to anything chocolate related to begin with, and these designs do nothing but fascinate me more.

W A S A R A

Disposable, organic, simple, beautiful, casual, elegant… paper-ware? W A S A R A presents a fantastic lineup of incredible paper plates that are as impressive as they are natural.

Sony Packaging

Sleek, professional feeling package design for various Sony products by Jesse Kaczmarek.

Halo 3: Legendary Edition

You don’t have to be a gamer to appreciate the casing design for Bungie’s “Halo 3: Legendary Edition”. The outside box is sleek and professional — the inside casing for the disk set is modeled after the helmet of the game’s protagonist.

Adobe CS4

Adobe never ceases to amaze with their creative package design for their Creative Suites.

Homemade Creative Packaging

Creative packaging straight out of some common home materials.

ISO50 Button Sets

Not your typical product, but these badges come packaged with the incredible artwork of Scott Hansen. Nice way to add a personal touch to such a simple product.

Helvetica 2008 Calendar

If it were not already August, I’d surely attempt to purchase one of these extraordinary calendars designed by Greig Anderson. 365 individual pages with large type make up this well thought out concept, designed in two sizes (A3 and A5). Please make another for 2009 Greig…

Fingerprint

Fingerprint is a book that demonstrates the art of using handmade elements in graphic design. It does an incredible job showcasing beautiful designs — and gives information for how they were created — and the book design itself is quite beautiful.

Beauty Engineered Forever Products

These product packages by B_E_E don’t waste anytime telling you what they’re made to do. Great Type, Nice Colors, and awesome idea for branding a product lineup.

Beautao Skincare

More wonderful package designs by Yael Miller, putting creative pattern and color work to good use for a lineup of Skin care products.

Insist Breakfast

Well, I’d wear them. Then again, I’m an egg guy, so that’s no surprise. Yellow isn’t typically a color I think of when looking for new footwear, but these seem to pull off the color quite well.

Inspirational Original Product and Packaging Design

A nice roundup of original product and packaging design over at Abduzeedo.

Dot Grid Book

A bit more subtle than a grid book, the Dot Grid Book provides designers with a means to sketch out ideas while not leaving grid lines to distract from what’s important.

Beck, “The Information”

This album is essentially packaged in a blank grid cover, while the inside of the package is filled with several sheets of stickers. Consumers can create their own design on the front and back of the case, completely customizing their own package.

Beautiful and Expressive Packaging Design

A comprehensive collection of beautiful and expressive packaging design over at Smashing Magazine.

Packaging Design Inspiration

Dzine Blog has also collected a series of package designs that are certainly worth a look.

The Power of The Box

As well as thecoolhunter.net where they’ve showcased some package designs.

Looking for More Creative Package Design?

There are some great sites and places out there were you can explore inspirational package design. One of the best we’ve found is TheDieline.com, a blog that frequently showcases unique package design.

If you’re interested in sharing some designs of your own, there are several groups on Flickr that may be worth checking out. Packaging Design and Crafty Packages are groups that stick out — and are even fun to browse through if you’re not a designer yourself.

Inspired by this showcase? Be sure to subscribe to our RSS Feed for more inspirational posts!

87 Comments

1. Add point Subtract point
    Joanna (0 Points) March 7, 2011 at 9:21 am

Does anyone know where I can receive photoshop training that specialises in PACKAGING mainly food?

2. Add point Subtract point
    Jaquelyn (1 Point) December 4, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Great post! thanks so much, I’m very inspired.

3. Add point Subtract point
    jjones444 (1 Point) November 30, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Great post, and great points. Like most people, I buy things if the packaging fits my likes and the product. I love the first picture, with the coffee cups with vintage designs. I’d totally drink coffee out of that cup, and mostly because of the cup. I never realized how much of marketing and advertising is simply the packaging and not even the product! Interesting.

4. Add point Subtract point
    courtney white (1 Point) November 19, 2010 at 11:09 am

i think they are really good!! could be improved though, i could do way better than that!!! pahahahhahahahhaa

5. Add point Subtract point

great collections here… thanks

6. Add point Subtract point
    Packaging Design Consusltants (1 Point) October 5, 2010 at 6:12 am

Simply amazing collection. Loved the Wine In A Can & Beauty Engineered Forever Products the most.
    Good use of colors & typography in most of the products is truly inspiring.
    Thanks a lot for the post :)

7. Add point Subtract point
    Logo Design Mart (1 Point) September 21, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Lovely, trully inspiring, wondering where may I find packaging design tutorials…..

8. Add point Subtract point
    avn rocky (1 Point) August 5, 2010 at 3:39 am

Nice collection here :) thanks – Avn

9. Add point Subtract point
    Advertising Agency Decision Communications (1 Point) July 15, 2010 at 3:33 am

wine in a can: kinda looks like a battery
    m5: beautiful graphic designs
    milk chocolate: very clever use of the iconic cow hide
    wasara: too pretty to use, haha
    helvetica 08 calendar: simply gorgeous calendar design

Lynn Ho, Graphic Designer
    Decision Communications
    Singapore Advertising & Marketing Agency

10. Add point Subtract point
    Jannatul Ferdous (1 Point) June 26, 2010 at 4:29 am

I just love the coffee mugs.Thanks for nice post.

11. Add point Subtract point

Hi, Very Good collection, all to see at one place.
    Pl. continue to keep and inspire the community.

Suhas
    Packaging Lead Expertise

12. Add point Subtract point
    เพลงใหม่ล่าสุดเดือนนี้ (1 Point) February 2, 2010 at 11:14 pm

wow Cool tip thank for sharing.147

13. Add point Subtract point
    เพลงสากลใหม่ (1 Point) February 2, 2010 at 3:18 am

wow Cool tip thank for sharing.133

14. Add point Subtract point
    ดาวน์โหลดเพลง (1 Point) February 1, 2010 at 5:02 am

great tutorial . Thanks516

15. Add point Subtract point
    ฟังเพลงใหม่ (1 Point) January 30, 2010 at 11:10 pm

wow Great article, thanks!

16. Add point Subtract point

new reader! i spent 40 minutes trying to search.. and finally found (i want to learn how to do package..).

this is very cool. is there a specific term if i want to find a tutorial that teaches like this? my terminology is very bad.. thats why it took me so long just to find it (i finally found out it is called “packaging design”). Thanks!

17. Add point Subtract point
    Werbeagentur Siegen (1 Point) December 14, 2009 at 6:04 am

I like the pantone mugs!

18. Add point Subtract point
    handbags (1 Point) November 17, 2009 at 2:34 am

yeah, Phenomenal Packaging Design & Inspiration.
    In good taste! :p

19. Add point Subtract point
    Kevin Airgid (1 Point) November 6, 2009 at 10:13 am

Very clean designs. I think it’s very hard to work with “real” things. Trying to translate a design to a 3D real world package is a big challenge. Kudo’s to those designers!

20. Add point Subtract point
    Clippingimages (1 Point) October 25, 2009 at 6:38 am

All the designs are great Thanks for the nice post :)

21. Add point Subtract point
    ReptiPro (1 Point) September 7, 2009 at 9:02 pm

I love the halo packaging. Working on packaging for my products is a pain and I just can’t seem to make them pop. Maybe I can draw inspiration from some of these.

Thanks for the great post!

22. Add point Subtract point
    Designer (1 Point) May 19, 2009 at 6:12 am

Wow. I am impressed! Ideas are so smooth, it’s just amazing. Obviously something to learn from.

23. Add point Subtract point
    ahmad mansee (1 Point) March 30, 2009 at 2:07 pm

oh its very nice and cool
    i hope i can do somthing like this .

24. Add point Subtract point
    Ubuntu Themes (1 Point) February 7, 2009 at 4:52 am

wow… awesome design, great post dude ;)

25. Add point Subtract point

here’s another site to checkout for design inspiration.

26. Add point Subtract point
    fantasmo (1 Point) December 10, 2008 at 5:30 am

Hi,
    does anybody know, where to find a tutorial for creating a windows-like packaging (with the round corner).
    I’m sure I’ve seen it already somewhere on the web… but I can’t find it anymore.
    I hope, somebody can help:-)…

27. Add point Subtract point
    Idee Montabili (1 Point) November 24, 2008 at 10:35 pm

Cool!
    Nice collection.

28. Add point Subtract point

That is a very nice list. Thanks.
    I really like that Wine in a can thing.. Wow, that is pretty design. I would feel bad throwing that can away :)

29. Add point Subtract point

Hi there! This was a wonderful and inspiring post. I enjoyed viewing all of these imaes. I just had a guest graphic designer write a post for my blog. The article was about her label package design process – I thought that your readers might be interested in seeing it. Thanks again.

Rachel

30. Add point Subtract point
    David Leggett (1 Point) October 20, 2008 at 7:09 pm

@liam: Thanks liam :)

I’m finding more and more that the physical world is playing a role in inspiring my digital creations. Glad so many of our viewers enjoyed these incredible designs as much as I did!

31. Add point Subtract point
    Jonathan (1 Point) October 16, 2008 at 11:47 pm

A lot of cool stuff here. These things also make great x-mas presents for designers.

32. Add point Subtract point
    artcodesign (1 Point) October 13, 2008 at 1:00 am

Great examples of super design! Simple, accurate and professional.

33. Add point Subtract point

Fantastic examples of packaging design. I love the the “I’ll do your Dirty Work” and the “Trust me with your delicates” etc. That’s an amazing concept, that works and looks so nice. It’s posts like this that really prove your 9rules membership was well deserved I say! Nice one.

34. Add point Subtract point
    Howard Pinsky (1 Point) October 9, 2008 at 4:14 pm

Really cool. Some of the packaging in really well designed!

35. Add point Subtract point
    UtahLuxury.com (1 Point) October 9, 2008 at 12:07 pm

Phenomenal! I love the cuppatea and cuppacoffe.

36. Add point Subtract point
    Goji Juice (1 Point) October 9, 2008 at 9:50 am

Nice and informative article…

37. Add point Subtract point
    eddie mar (1 Point) October 9, 2008 at 6:34 am

very good designs… unique and pleasing to the eyes

38. Add point Subtract point
    Henrik – Web Designer (1 Point) October 9, 2008 at 6:23 am

Errr. No. That Sony packaging doesn’t look at all like an Apple iPod/iPhone box. Noting like it. Whatever gave you that idea!

Nice collection. Some inspiring ideas there. Thanks.

39. Add point Subtract point

So much inspiration in one web page….this is why I love the www!!

40. Add point Subtract point

Why would PANTONE Mugs be realted to the Mac world only? Don’t we boring, everyday, normal Windows users get a chance? Can’t we have standard? The inhumanity!

Please, excuse me.

On a much more relaxed note, congrats David, wonderful post. Some of these things are going straight into my Inspiration folder.

41. Add point Subtract point

@Ryan G: I really loved those, and I’m not a Mac user :) I thought it was a really creative idea – being able to describe the creaminess of your coffee in terms of definable color.

42. Add point Subtract point

Cool designs! I love the chocolate packaging.

43. Add point Subtract point
    Ryan G (1 Point) October 8, 2008 at 1:47 pm

Some nice designs. But I can see the ‘Pantone’ designs more to the liking of our Mac user friends.

44. Add point Subtract point

Very nice blog Tutorial9..

45. Add point Subtract point
    NaldzGraphics (1 Point) October 7, 2008 at 9:08 pm

very inspiring.yay cs4=)

46. Add point Subtract point
    Dainis Graveris (1 Point) October 7, 2008 at 9:06 pm

Lovely packaching works! Just great..I can’t miss CS4 creative designs, I enjoy the best! Thanks!

47. Add point Subtract point

Its too bad everything isn’t designed to this standard.. would make the everyday things in life just that little bit less duller.

48. Add point Subtract point
    Website Design (1 Point) October 7, 2008 at 3:19 pm

The wine in a can bottles are really neat.

49. Add point Subtract point

While there’s not much design on this, the bottle itself is a pretty cool shape. Who knew water could be interesting.

50. Add point Subtract point
    RyanDC (1 Point) October 7, 2008 at 6:07 am

Love the Adobe CS4 boxes, the use of colour and simple shapes is inspiring.

51. Add point Subtract point

I love how much effort and thought are put into today’s designs for packaging. The Adobe CS4 suite packaging looks very appealing. I also LOVE the Dot Grid Book but it is a bit expensive.

52. Add point Subtract point
    Nouman Saleem (1 Point) October 6, 2008 at 8:40 pm

sweet…though no apple? haha I always love their simplicity in package design

53. Add point Subtract point
    DKumar M. (1 Point) October 6, 2008 at 7:16 pm

Some nice stuff… i never gave a thought about this as a creative output.

54. Add point Subtract point
    Fabio Sasso (1 Point) October 6, 2008 at 5:35 pm

Really cool list, it will be very useful for a project that I’m working on. Thanks a lot David ;)

55. Add point Subtract point

“Milk Chocolate

Why hasn’t this hit my local grocery store already? I don’t usually think about Cows when I’m craving Chocolate, but this branding seems like a really great idea. It definitely sticks out from the usual.”

Are you kidding me?!!!!!!!!!!
    lol I could send you THOSE! As I come from Latvia where they make these! hahahaha I could never imagine anything that comes from here would end up HERE lol

56. Add point Subtract point
    NetOperator Wibby (1 Point) October 6, 2008 at 1:19 pm

EDIT: LOL, I didn’t realize that you had another one of the guy’s packaging up here [he's the one with the huge calendar].

57. Add point Subtract point
    Matthew (1 Point) October 6, 2008 at 1:11 pm

Lovely post, very inspiring. How I’d love to work in the industry that produces these.

58. Add point Subtract point

Nice packaging roundup. Some really cool stuff.

59. Add point Subtract point
    Nick | Resource Pile (1 Point) October 6, 2008 at 12:34 pm

Wow, there’s some amazing packaging work, I love to find inspiration in things not online or not in the same realm as you are working in.

60. Add point Subtract point

@Jazcash: Love the actual product design of those. The enclosure for the actual chip is really creative!

Thanks for sharing Jazcash!