Sign In  |  Join Now Become a member to add links and start earning points!

Why We Should Start Using CSS3 and HTML5 Today

CSS3 and HTML5 have so much to offer web developers. Despite this, many designers are afraid to move forward with these new technologies. What’s causing this tendency, and why should we start working with CSS3 and HTML5 today?

Source: www.smashingmagazine.com
Visit link →

Bliss Meter

100
Score Breakdown:
37 total votes 33 upvotes 4 downvotes
Posted by David Leggett on Dec 10th, 2010 Tags: ,

15 Comments

1. Add point Subtract point

Photoshop tutorials, from beginner to advanced. Including Photoshop text effect tutorials, photo manipulation tutorials, Drawing, Painting

2. Add point Subtract point

its time we start thinking new and break the barriers that hold us back…..

3. Add point Subtract point

As a website designer, I often find myself as devils advocate, both for and against CSS3 and HTML5.

This is mostly due to what a website is expected to be vs what a website is actually capable of!

For example, Client-A wants to push the boundaries, they want the world to see how innovative and “cutting-edge” they are, and they want the world to see it!
    Although I’m extremely happy to deliver (nothing would please me more than to sink my teeth into some juicy code), Client-A needs to be reminded “they want the world to see it” and this is where I have to argue against these new technologies. Joe Bloggs on his 800 x 600 display and IE 7 physically can’t see what Client-A wants him to see, which means I have failed and so has the client.

It’s about utilising what we have got and making it accessible to everyone.

On the other side of the fence, there is Client-B, so intently focussed on IE 6 and sub-screen sizes that the web, quite literally, is not allowed to develop! So I must argue my case for the new generation of technology, Client-B needs to be convinced that unless their website demonstrates the ability to convey their ideas in an appealing, and possibly modern manner, Joe Bloggs will have no interest in their site.

Ultimately there is a time and a place for new technology, it has to be needed and not just wanted.

4. Add point Subtract point

We should have started using it more and more a long time ago. As long as develops take the time to ensure that older browsers that don’t support HTML 5 or CSS 3 will fall back on code that works and graceful degradation (CSS 2.1-like).

5. Add point Subtract point

With HTML5 boilerplates and services such as CSS3Please available, I don’t think there is a valid reason not to start enjoying snippets of what’s to come, providing the designer is still offering a fully-functioning website to users of older browsers. Then, we are not only enhancing our websites and continuing to encourage others to open up and embrace the new technologies, we also inspire new designers, and open up a fresh wave of possibilities for tutorials and innovations to share.

That’s my view of it all.

6. Add point Subtract point

I came across this from the SmashingMag tweet and I think I commented on there. Great to see people getting involved and I still think it is important to start learning this technology today.
    Now maybe I should develop a tool that outputs HTML5 and CSS3?!

7. Add point Subtract point

Digging the article and the new Tutorial9 approach. I was leery at first but you guys are making it worthwhile.

8. Add point Subtract point

I really enjoyed this. Actually, when working on the new Tutorial9, I took a big step myself and used CSS3 very strongly for the first time in a project like this. I’m at a point in my career where I know that this is the right direction for web applications.

Now, perhaps I have a bit of an advantage developing for a tech savvy crowd, most of who are browsing the web on an up to date browser on a widescreen display. All the same, I think I’m about ready to drop support for older browsers unless the project specifically calls for it. I want to deliver a certain kind of experience, and I’m not going to keep pushing out mediocre products to satisfy the needs of a shrinking old-browser population.